Thailand is one of the most diverse countries that you can find in this world. As a person, you may want to visit Thailand once in your lifetime.
Thailand vacation rentals are extensively found throughout the country. Tourism has flourished quite a bit in the recent years and you will be able to see numerous things. But before visiting a country it is crucial to know about them a bit more. It helps in relating to the country as a whole. So, we have tried to amalgamate a lot of facts about Thailand in this small article. We hope that you find it interesting and knowledgeable. So, let us begin.
Facts about the country of Thailand:
- Thailand official name is the Kingdom of Thailand. In the past, it was known as Siam until 1948 when it was changed to Thailand. Its location is at the center of the Indo-Chinese peninsula present in Southeast Asia. In the north, it is bordered by Myanmar and Laos, in the east by Laos and Cambodia. In the south, we find the Gulf of Thailand and Malaysia and to the west, it is surrounded by the Andaman Sea. The capital city of Thailand is Bangkok.
- The official name of Bangkok is quite long. The ceremonial name of the city is Krungthepmahanakhon Amonrattanakosin Mahintharayutthaya Mahadilokphop Noppharatratchathaniburirom Udomratchaniwetmahasathan Amonphimanawatansathit Sakkathattiyawitsanukamprasit. But the locals call it by the name of Krung Thep Maha Nakhon.
- Thailand is the 20th most populated country present in the world. According to the census of 2016, it was found that approximately 69 million people call Thailand their home.
- Thailand is also the only country that never got colonized by the Europeans. A lot of them tried but they couldn’t conquer this beautiful country. The king strived for good communication with the European leaders to save his country.
- Thailand is an amalgamation of several islands. It is speculated that it is made up of 1,430 islands, islets and several other land formation. We do not think you can cover all of them even in several years.
- A lavish Monkey Buffet is held in the country in front of the Pra Prang Sam Yot temple present in the Lopburi Province. The numerous guest monkeys are greeted with grilled sausages, ice cream, fresh fruits and other delicious things. It is a way for the locals to thank their monkey friends.
- The main religion of Thailand is Buddhism. About 94.50% people residing in Thailand follow the religion.
- The Great Buddha present in Thailand is the 7th tallest statue in the world. It is the tallest in Thailand and the 2nd tallest in Southeast Asia. The location of the statue is at the Wat Muang Monastery situated in the Ang Thong Province. The height of the statue is 92 m or 300 ft and the width is 63 m or 210 ft. It took 18 years to complete the statue and was inaugurated in 2008.
- The national flower of Thailand is the orchid. About 1500 different types of orchids grow in the country. They have even made a business out of selling these orchids to other countries around the world.
- The Thai New Year is celebrated from April 12th to 15th. They celebrate it by spraying water at each other. It is a symbol of purification and everyone celebrates it equally.
- Thailand is covered with diverse ecosystems throughout the country. The amazing thing about them is that the country is the land of the world’s smallest mammal and also to the world’s largest fish. The smallest mammal is called the bumblebee bat and the fish is the whale shark.
- The official language of Thailand is Thai which has 32 vowels and 44 consonants.
- The Siamese cats that we love so much are native to Thailand. The local name for the cats is when-maat which stands for ‘moon diamond’. Once there were over 23 types of Siamese cats but now only 6 prevail in the world. To bring good luck people often present a pair of Siamese cats to the newly married brides.
- The reticulated Python calls Thailand its home. It is supposedly the longest snake in the world and it can grow to be 33 feet or 10 m. They also have the largest lizard, the monitor lizard which grows to be 7 feet.
- We can find the mudskipper fish in Thailand. It is unique as it can walk on land and climb trees. It breathes on land by taking in oxygen with its skin and uses its fins to move around the place.
- Elephants are the national animals of Thailand. In their glory days, there were about 100,000 elephants living in the country. But due to ivory poaching, the number is now just 5000. The country is doing tasks to prevent the loss of their favorite animal. Thailand also was a beautiful place with hardwood forest. But almost all of it is gone. It has reached the 2nd most deforested place in Southeast Asia. The first in the list is Singapore.
- More than 35,000 temples exist in Thailand.
- Thailand is one of the most favorite destinations in the world for having a vacation. Around 6 million people visit the country every year.
We hope that you will love this trivia of facts. The interesting facts do help in a deeper connection with the country. So, the time you visit Thailand, you can get mesmerized by seeing the things and culture with your own eyes.
This article is submitted by Seema Gurnani of Pandareviewz.com