Have you been thinking of traveling to the Azores? You are in the right place. The Azores are an extensive group of islands in the Atlantic Ocean. It has a total of nine islands. When you visit them, you’ll be so charmed that you’ll return again and again to visit all the islands. In this post, we are going to discuss extensively the Azores. We will let you know where they are located, the best time to visit, and what you need to do on the islands. If you’ve been to such a destination before, you probably know that islands are a great place to go whale watching or hiking. We are going to talk about all the islands available so that you can decide which island in the Azores is best for you. Let’s get started!
Location of the Azores Island
The Azores islands are located in the Atlantic Ocean between America and Europe. People who tried measuring found that they lie roughly halfway to these two continents. The Azores to Portugal is 1360 kilometers and more than 1900 kilometers to Newfound in Canada. Its location at the heart of the Atlantic Ocean makes it the ideal mooring spot for yachts that are sailing across the ocean.
In most instances, the seasons in these islands go hand in hand with those in European countries.
In spring, the temperatures rise to around twenty degrees Celsius. The temperatures go as high as 16 degrees during the day and go down to around 10 degrees at night. The amount of rainfall declines gradually. The Azores are a green destination, meaning that there is a high likelihood of rain during the year. Most of the rain falls in winter and autumn and to a low extent at the beginning of spring. Spring is also the ideal time to visit thanks to the number of festivals available.
Summer is the busiest season in the Azores. However, you shouldn’t expect crowds. The Azores does not attract a lot of tourists yet. However, in the next few years, most travelers will be visiting this destination. July and August are very dry. And the temperature goes as high as 25 degrees.
If you would like to join the locals in various activities such as swimming in the natural pools, you should visit this place in August and September and delegate your urgent tasks to proofreading service UK. Even if you visit the Azores in June, you still find some people swimming in the cold water. However, most people prefer to stay away. The only time that most people do such activities together is in August and September when the ocean water warms as high as 23 degrees.
The temperatures start falling from October and you should expect more precipitation. The temperature drops to 18 degrees during the day. At night, the temperatures go as low as 12 degrees. The high amount of rain makes this season unsuitable for most people to visit the Azores. The end of the seasonal routes of most ferries ends with summer. When this happens, you’ll only find two boats operating between Pico, Sao Jorge, and Faial. While the ferry charges will change between Corvo and Flores, they keep going the entire year. Azores airlines can also help travelers move from one island to another. However, there is a high likelihood that the flights will be delayed or canceled thanks to bad weather.
During the winter, the islands are quite cool. Some locals usually leave the islands during this season and travel elsewhere. Others remain on the island. However, they spend most of their time indoors binge-watching Netflix since there is nothing to do outside. As a traveler, this is one of the most unpleasant times to visit this destination.
Best time for travelers to visit the islands
It’s quite difficult to predict the weather in the Azores. You can experience all four seasons in a single day. However, the best time for travelers to visit the Azores is in the summer or spring. During these two seasons, you’ll get to spend most of your time outdoors because it’s going to be dry. If you enjoy swimming, summer is the best time to visit these amazing islands.
Getting to the Azores
If you are lucky enough to own a yacht, getting to the Azores will be easy and fun. However, if you are like most people, you can get to your destination by air. Book your flight on the Azores Airlines website. You’ll get flights to the Azores from Lisbon. And also, departures from Porto. The Azores islands have been gaining popularity over the years and this has been reflected by the increasing number of flights from other nations. Most of the flights are from New York and Boston in the US, Toronto, Canada, and other locations in Europe.
Going alone or as a group
As a student, you’ve probably asked yourself, “Who will do my assignment when I go the Azores?” There are lots of professional writers who are eager to help you stay on top of things at school. If you are thinking of traveling alone to the Azores, it’s easy. All you’ll have to do is create your travel itinerary. However, if you want to travel with your loved ones, or workmates you should consider joining an organized tour. There are a few reputable companies that you can book with to have a great time on the islands.
Staying in the Azores
There are plenty of great hotels on these islands. You can choose to stay in high-end hotels or small boutique hotels depending on your budget. Some of the best places to stay in the Azores include:
- Casa do Contador in Ponta Delgada
- Quinta da Mo in Furnas
- The Alluar Lodge in Terceira
- Quinta das Buganvílias in Faial
- Alma do Pico in Pico
- Make it happen farm in Sao Jorge
- Aldeia da Cuada in Flores
- Charming blue in Santa Maria
If you like staying in Airbnbs, you’ll find some of the best Airbnbs on every island.
Renting a vehicle
The best way to move around and see new things in the Azores is by renting a vehicle. Public transport is quite insufficient in this area. And you’ll have a hard time reaching all the areas that you had planned on visiting. Since taxis are quite expensive, you should consider renting a vehicle.
With a rental car, you won’t have to follow train or bus schedules. Plus, you won’t have to carry your bags around the bus terminals or the train stations. All you have to do is swing them in the trunk and you are good to go. As you travel to different destinations, you’ll have the luxury of stopping whenever you want to rest, take a photo or enjoy the beautiful view.
Renting a car is quite expensive compared to getting around by bus or train. But you can save a few bucks by staying at smaller or cheaper hotels. Without a car, you’ll be forced to stay in hotels that are centrally located which charge ridiculous prices. However, with a rental car, you can pick a hotel of your choice. Some of the best rental car organizations in the Azores include:
- Rentalcars.com: By visiting this website, you’ll easily find the amount that different rental car companies charge depending on your preferred type of vehicle. Booking a vehicle here is quite easy. It is easy to navigate this website because every important piece of information is there. You’ll get to see the car details, insurance, mileage of the vehicle, and conditions of cancellation.
- Discover cars: The booking process of Discover Cars is quite similar to that of Rentalcars.com. All rates are clearly shown on the comparison page. The cancellation, mileage, and fuel policies are clearly shown on the website. You can cancel vehicles that you had booked two days in advance without extra charges. At the time of booking, a refundable deposit is taken in some instances.
Is travel insurance necessary?
When preparing for their vacations, most people overlook travel insurance. This is especially true when they are traveling to civilized and safe nations.
The chances that you will encounter problems while traveling through an amazing destination like the Azores are slim. However, when things go wrong in such destinations, getting medical help can be quite expensive. Civilized nations have excellent medical care. However, the costs tend to be high. Investing in travel insurance can seem like an unnecessary cost. However, it can save you thousands of dollars in the long run. Good travel insurance covers various expenses such as trip cancellation, medical, evacuation, theft, and damage or loss of baggage to name a few.
Which is the best island to visit in the Azores?
The Azores is made up of nine islands. There are also eight small islands. However, you can’t visit these. The largest and most visited island in this area is Sao Miguel. While most people visit Sao Miguel for a few days and go home, every island in the Azores has its charms and treasures. Therefore, you should consider visiting all the islands when you get here. Since every island has something special and unique to offer, it’s difficult for us to say what’s the best island in this area. Let’s discuss more the best islands here.
Pico is located at the heart of the Azores. It is also the second-largest island here. The island has an amazing eponymous volcano with a height of 2351 meters. And this makes it the highest mountain in Portugal.
There are a lot of things that you can do on Pico Island. They include:
- UNESCO wine tasting: The Azores is home to a few beautiful vineyards. The fields are divided into small compartments by black lava stone walls. This makes the vineyards look unique and special. So amazing is this place that it was designated as a world heritage by UNESCO.
- Finding the cachorro: All the islands in the Azores are volcanic. The lava rocks on the coastline show this clearly. As you drive across the islands, you’ll come across these beautiful objects. The Cachorro is a breathtaking coastline piece where the ocean is carved into the rock. And created natural bridges and caves. You should look for a rock that has a dog’s shape.
Terceira island is also located at the heart of the Azores and is the third-largest island. During the high season, you can use a ferry to get here. Otherwise, you’ll need to book a flight at Azores Airlines. When you arrive here, you can:
- Enjoy the view of Serra Do Cume: You’ll get to see fields with a wide range of colors. At the viewpoint, you’ll have a panoramic view of the entire Terceira island.
- Visit Algor do Carvao: Algor do Carvao is one of the best caves in this area. And it’s the product of volcanic activity. The entrance of the cave is breathtaking. However, it’s the lake at the bottom that will transform everything. Every year, different concerts are organized here due to the porous lava stones that eliminate echoes. Once the cave is opened, you’ll get the chance to explore it at your own pace. Two people in the cave will answer all your questions.
Another beautiful island in the Azores is Faial. It’s around thirty minutes from Pico by boat. Also, ferries travel from Pico to Faial and back every day. On this island, you’ll get to:
- Admire the Caldeira: The Caldeira is figuratively and literally, the best thing to see in Faial. The crater is at the top of the island and towers everything else. It’s around 1000 meters high and the top is usually covered in clouds. Going to the top on both sunny and cloudy days makes a world of difference. You should consider hiking on sunny days.
Other things that you can do here include:
- Visiting the lunar landscape
- Watching birds at Morro de Castelo Branco
- Visiting the Praia do Almoxarife to relax
The Azores islands will charm you in ways that you’d never imagine. If you’ve never visited these islands, now is the best time to start planning and creating an itinerary.
Charles Normandin wrote this guest post
Charles Normandin is a copywriter from Goodlett (Texas). He loves to visit exhibitions, meet new people, and talk about new ways of expressing himself through art. Meet him on Twitter @Charles60104524.