This week we have another fast and easy dinner. Add tossed salad and crisp white wine like a Riesling for a wonderful meal.
Crisp White Wine
- 1 Idaho/russet potato per person
- olive oil
- sour cream
- fresh chopped chives, dried work well too
- Aluminum foil
Preheat the oven to 400°F.
Rinse potatoes in cool water then wipe dry. Stab each potato in 6 or 7 different locations to allow steam to escape and stop the vegetable from exploding.
Coat the potatoes with a small amount of oil. Wrap each potato in foil. Set them on a cookie sheet.
Roast the potatoes in the oven for 1 hour or until a toothpick is easily inserted.
Serve with butter, sour cream, chives, and pepper.
While the potatoes are baking prep all the ingredients for the Broccoli Stir-fry. Keep them on the counter within easy reach. This recipe as written serves 4-6. Scale back for fewer people. Leftovers are not that good because the veggies get overcooked.
- 4 mini carrots sliced on an angle
- ½ cup olive oil – possibly more
- ½ medium onion sliced
- 1 inch piece gingerroot peeled and cut into strips
- 1 head broccoli trimmed and cut into florets
- ½ small sweet red pepper cored, seeded and cut into strips
- ½ small yellow pepper cored, seeded and cut into strips
- 2 large garlic cloves pressed
- ½ tsp. red pepper flakes
- 2 green onions sliced on an angle, include some green
- 5 mini Bello mushrooms cleaned and sliced into thirds
- 1 tbsp. lime or lemon juice
In a medium skillet, heat oil over medium high heat until it begins to shimmer. Add onion, carrot and gingerroot. Sauté until carrot is almost soft. Test by inserting a toothpick into the carrot. Remove as many gingerroot pieces as you can find. Don’t worry if some are left in the pan.
You can stop at this point to begin the fish and pick up after you main course is sautéed.
Add broccoli, red and yellow peppers, and garlic. Sprinkle on red pepper flakes. Stir constantly to insure broccoli is well coated with the oil. Add more oil if necessary. Squeeze on the lime or lemon juice. Sauté 2 – 4 minutes but be sure the broccoli and peppers still have crunch to them.
Blend in green onions and mushrooms. Sauté until mushrooms are heated through. Serve quickly.
- ¼ cup flour
- 2 tilapia filets or any mild white fish per person
- 4 tbsp. butter
- 1 lime, ends trimmed and sliced into thin circles
- 1 tbsp. capers, rinsed and drained
Pour flour into a paper or plastic bag. Add one filet and gently shake the bag to coat fish. Shake to remove excess flour and set filet on a plate. Do the same with the next fillet skillet. Refrigerate for 15 minutes or so.
Melt 1 tablespoon of butter in a medium – large skillet over medium-high heat. Add lime slices to skillet. Cook until lime is lightly browned, about 2 minutes. Push limes to the side.
Add 1 tablespoon of butter and the fish. Fry until the tilapia flakes easily, about 2-3 minutes per side.
Add the remaining butter and capers. Remove skillet from the heat and tilt the pan to swirl the butter until it melts.
Transfer the fish and limes to individual plates. Spoon the caper and butter sauce over the top.
Sloane Taylor Hi! Thanks for dropping by. We’re very informal here. Pajamas, or whatever else makes you comfortable, …