You’ll be pleasantly surprised by the tantalizing aroma from this easy recipe and the taste is superb.
We have served this menu to skeptical guests and they fell in love with it.
Cod Livornese(merluzzo alla livornese)
- 2 tbsp. olive oil
- ½ medium onion sliced thin
- 3 garlic cloves pressed or chopped fine
- ½ cup dry white wine
- 1 14-½ oz. can diced tomatoes or 7 large Roma tomatoes chopped
- ½ cup sliced black olives
- 4 tbsp. parsley fresh (chopped) or 2 tbsp dried
- 2 tbsp. washed, drained and chopped capers – optional, but they really add flavor
- ½ tsp. crushed red pepper
- 4 pieces cod about 6 oz. each and cut to handle easily
- 1 tbsp. fresh basil chopped or 1 tsp. dried
In nonstick large skillet, heat olive oil over medium high heat until it shimmers. Add onion, stir until translucent and lightly brown. Stir in garlic, cook 30 seconds. Add wine, cook 1 minute. Stir in tomatoes with the juice, olives, parsley, capers and red pepper. Heat to boiling.
Lay cod fillets over tomato mixture. Lower heat to medium. Cover skillet and cook until cod turns opaque throughout and flakes, about 9 minutes.
Sprinkle basil across the top.
Serve over whole grain spaghetti.
Makes 4 servings
Don’t prepare extra. Leftovers have a stale taste and tend to be tough.
Whole Grain Spaghetti
Prepare according to package directions
- Lettuce from 2 different types torn into bite size pieces, red leaf and head are excellent choices
- Tomatoes chopped
- Cucumber peeled and sliced
- Zucchini diced
- Green Onions sliced, be sure to add some of the green
- Mushrooms sliced
- Black Olives
Combine everything, or any grouping you like. Cover with a damp paper towel and store in the fridge until ready to serve.
Toss with a good Italian dressing. Be careful not to add too much dressing or the lettuce will get soggy. Should you mix in too much dressing, dump the salad in a colander to allow excess dressing to drain off.