“Whoever said that money can’t buy happiness, simply didn’t know where to go shopping.” – Bo Derek
We all love to “shop till we drop” be it from the malls, thrift stores, designer stores around the block or on digital stores! However, as much as it is thrilling, shopping comes with its share of woes. Think ill-fitting dresses or buying something on a whim only to find out that it was already there in your wardrobe!
If this sounds familiar, then fret not as we have you covered with some top tips that leading fashionistas need to be aware of:
1) Thoroughly Cleanse Your Closet Before Shopping – When you think of shopping, the first thing that should cross your mind is to conduct a thorough spring cleaning of your closet. This will give you an idea of what you need and what you don’t need, thereby helping you make more space in the closet for new items!
2) Designer Labels Need Not Cost a Bomb – Wearing designer labels and being on the top of your fashion game needn’t cost a bomb.
There are plenty of resale sites and apps for pre-owned luxury fashion goods. Vestiaire Collective, Tradesy, Material World, Resee and Poshmark are some of the top shops when you think of luxury resale. The best part is that you can also sell your designer clothes and accessories on the platform and use the money from the sale to buy a luxury item of your choice without burning a hole in your pocket!
3) Shop on Discount Shopping Sites – There’s no shortage of shopping sites that sell trendy clothes and accessories at unbelievable rates! You can get bags, belts, watches, clothes and earrings online on these stores at a pocket-friendly price along with complimentary shipping. If you’re looking forward to buying fashionable items in bulk, give these sites a try!
Bonus tip: Some online shopping websites offer a discount when you sign up for the first time. Use this feature to get a further reduction in the price when you checkout!
4) Wait For Sales Season To Get Over – Don’t want to settle for sales collection (which almost everyone ends up wearing)? The simple solution is to plan your shopping after-sales season is over. This will help you get your hands on the latest collection and avoid those overcrowded fitting rooms and checkout counters.
Also, you won’t have to constantly watch out for someone else picking up an item you keep down for a few seconds! Last but not least, you’ll get more choice even if you get to buy less than what you intended to. As Vivienne Westwood puts it, “Buy less, choose well.”
5) Wear Appropriate Lingerie – When you shop from a physical store, put on the apt lingerie. This helps especially when you’re shopping for bandeau tops, bardot tops, cold-shoulder tops, tank tops or halter neck tops, in which you don’t want bra straps to show. Similarly, if you are searching for white tops or sheer tops, wear nude lingerie to the stores. This will help you take an informed decision and also help you find clothes that fit perfectly!
6) When Something Fits, Buy At Least Two – When you find a piece of clothing that flatters your silhouette, make it a point to add two or more of the same piece in different colors in the shopping cart. The same goes for shoes and other accessories as well.
7) Buy Accessories Along With The Outfits – Many of us buy the outfits first and then begin searching for accessories that match. This exercise can take up more time than you can ever imagine. In addition to this, you may not always find suitable accessories for the outfits that you just bought! A better idea is to purchase accessories along with the outfits, preferably from the same store. There are chances that you may end up getting an exclusive deal on them!
8) Cut Down The Time – Need to visit several stores but don’t have the time? Save those precious seconds by layering. The trick is to wear a bodysuit or a tank top with leggings or a pair of jeans to your shopping expedition. This way, you can wear tops, jackets, sweaters and other pieces of clothing as a layer over what you’re already wearing. No need to get into a fitting room!
“Fashion is not necessarily about labels. It’s not about brands. It’s about something else that comes from within you.” The quote from Ralph Lauren sums up the need for stepping out of your comfort zone when you go shopping. Don’t just ape what the fashion biggies are wearing. Instead, dress according to your personality and express yourself in the best possible way without letting any trend or fashion own you!
That said, if you too have some tips that can be added to the list, do share them with us!
Guest Post by Swara Segal – Swara Segal is a freelance writer and blogger based in Mumbai, India. She ardently follows the fashion industry and enjoys doling out tips on the latest trends. She loves collecting fashion earrings online, has an excellent understanding of the various jewelry designs and patterns, and knows about the perfect gemstones to go with them. In her free time, she loves to cook for family and friends, and enjoys photographing nature with her cam