Congratulations! You are pregnant. As you celebrate this wonderful news, you may also want to start planning for your pregnancy. If you are wondering what to do next, here is a comprehensive guide to help you through your delightful and exciting journey.
1. Choose a good maternity hospital: It is important to consider your maternity care choices and then choose a good maternity hospital which can provide you ample care and support before and after the delivery. Proximity to your place of residence is vital as lesser the traveling time, better it is. For example, if you are residing in Vashi, you can always compare various maternity hospitals online or consult relatives and friends before selecting the best maternity hospital in Vashi.
2. Make an appointment with your Doctor: You must be bursting with questions. Before visiting your doctor, prepare a list of all the questions you would like to ask. At your appointment, you may be provided with a Medicare Card which will chart your health and pregnancy progress. Your gynecologist will calculate your expected due date based on the date of your last period and recommend certain tests and ultrasound.
Further, he may also discuss the subsequent check-ups and visits you are required to take during the course of your pregnancy. Your doctor will also put you on a course of folic acid and vitamin D pills if you already haven’t been taking these.
3. Taking care of your health: Now that you know you are pregnant you must start taking good care of your health by eating a proper and balanced diet, staying active by regular walks and light exercises, drinking plenty of water, getting adequate sleep and overall maintaining a healthy lifestyle. It is the right time to give up unhealthy habits like smoking or drinking. There are certain foods that should be avoided. Consult your doctor in this regard and make suitable alterations in your diet.
4. Make an announcement: You may want to give some consideration to the detail as to how and when you will like to announce your pregnancy. Some women prefer waiting until after the completion of first three months when the chances of a miscarriage greatly reduce and then break the news to friends and relatives.
5. Read Books: Chances are despite talking to your doctor, friends and relatives you may still be left with a few unanswered questions especially if it’s your first time. So, go ahead and get yourself a few books on pregnancy and childbirth to educate yourself about pregnancy symptoms, morning sickness and what to expect during the course of your pregnancy. You can also gather info online by signing up for weekly pregnancy bulletins or join some expectant moms club or support group online.
Pregnancy is a beautiful time in a woman’s life. By taking good care of yourself and making a few healthy changes in your lifestyle you can make it a joyous and wonderful experience for yourself.