Right Said Fred have been celebrating the 25th Anniversary of their 1991 hit single I’m Too Sexy this year.
In honour of the anniversary, brothers Fred and Richard Fairbrass are releasing a 25th Anniversary I’m Too Sexy EP, which is only available via Pledge.
In honour of the 25th Anniversary, here are 25 Things You Didn’t Know About Right Said Fred:
- Actors Tom Hanks and Andy Samberg parodied I’m Too Sexy on Saturday Night Live in 2013.
- Right Said Fred made a cameo appearance on Ricky Gervais’ Life’s Too Short.
- The boys performed at the Royal Performance in 1993 with the Muppets.
- In 2014 the band appeared on John Oliver’s Last Week Tonight.
- Right Said Fred were the first British band since The Beatles to have a US No.1 for a debut single (I’m Too Sexy).
- Right Said Fred performed with Spinal Tap in 1992 at MTV’s Spring Break.
- Richard has played bass for David Bowie.
- Fred has played guitar for Bob Dylan.
- In 1993 the boys were nominated for Best British Group at The Brit Awards.
- Madonna named Richard as the most bed-able man in pop.
- Jay Z raps about the band in his song ‘The Ruler’s Back’ – “I’m too sexy for jail like Right Said Fred”.
- I’m Too Sexy was voted Australia’s Best Party Song Of 2016.
- Right Said Fred performed at the 2006 World Cup opening ceremony in Germany in front of 200,000 people and again in 2014 in front of 500,000. This is nothing compared to their show at the Bollywood awards though, where they played in front of 300 million people!
- A man died from ‘excessive aural excitement’ claims coroner while at a table-dance club listening to I’m Too Sexy.
- The group was named after the novelty song ‘Right Said Fred’, which was a hit single for singer and actor Bernard Cribbins in 1962.
- The 1993 single for Stick it Out from the Comic Relief album Sex and Travel sold over a million copies.
- Right Said Fred have won two Ivor Novello awards. The first in 1991 for I’m Too Sexy and the second in 1992 for Deeply Dippy.
- Right Said Fred currently have 424,000 monthly Spotify listeners in 28 countries, but are most popular in Germany.
- Right Said Fred were named fashion icons in The Observer, circa 1992 and even nearly had their own Right Said Fred clothing line.
- I’m Too Sexy has been featured on one of TV’s most successful cartoons The Simpsons on more than one occasion.
- I’m Too Sexy made it into VH1’s 100 Greatest Songs of the 90’s chart and was also rated No.2 in VH1’s Greatest One Hit Wonder’s of the 90’s.
- The brothers have a protein drink planned under the name Fairbrass Sports.
- I’m Too Sexy was once used in an Australian Safe Sex Fetish Advert.
- On the day of the video shoot for I’m Too Sexy nothing went to plan, in fact everything on set was literally apparently falling apart, which is one of the reason’s the video is as iconic, comical and rememberable.
- Robin Williams once sang a rendition of I’m Too Sexy at one of his shows in the style of Elmer Fudd as did Weird Al Yankovic.