Learn how to cover gray hair easily and find the type or method of gray coverage that works for you.
Most people’s hair will naturally start to turn gray as they get older. The age at which this happens varies from person to person, but it is usually around age 30 or 40.
As you grow older, you’ll see glimpses of gray hair in the mirror. For some, this can be an exciting time that signals a new chapter in life. For others, it can be a bit more stressful. Regardless of how you feel about your gray hair, there are a few ways to cover it up if you’d like.
So let’s start our journey by learning about gray hairs and methods to cover them.
While some people celebrate their gray hair as a badge of honor, it can be a source of insecurity for others. If your gray hair is causing you distress, there are several ways that you can cover it up.
It’s also essential to understand why hair turns gray in the first place. Here are some factors that cause gray hair. Genetics, Aging, Stress, Smoking, Illness, Environmental factors.
No matter how you feel about your gray hair, there’s no need to stress. Many options are available to help you cover up your gray hair if you’d like.
The following are different methods for covering your gray hair.
- Root Touch Up Powder
A root touch up powder is a temporary way to cover gray hair. As you can use them to cover your roots when they start to show through the hair color or to cover new growth of gray hair that may have come in since the last time the hair was colored. The advantage of using a root touch up powder is that it is quick and easy to apply.
Here is how you can use it:
- Divide your hair into two parts and apply the powder to the roots of your hair.
- Use a brush or your fingers to blend the powder into your hair.
- Style your hair as usual.
Using a root touch up will give you a quick fix for your graying hair. It is not, however, a long-term solution, and you will have to reapply for it every two weeks or so.
Image Source: Freepik
Hair dye is the most common way to cover gray hair. It is also the most temporary solution, as it lasts a few weeks before it starts to fade.
The main advantage of hair dye is that it is relatively inexpensive and easy to find. Most medical stores even carry a wide variety of hair dyes, so you should be able to find one that matches your hair color. The main disadvantage of hair dye is that it can damage your hair. Many hair dyes contain harsh chemicals that can dry out your hair and make it more prone to breakage.
Following are the steps to use hair dye:
- Start by selecting it. Make sure to choose the one that matches your hair color. If you have dark hair, you’ll want to choose a dark dye, and if you have light hair, you’ll want to choose a light one.
- Once you’ve selected it, read the instructions on the package carefully. Most dyes will require you to mix them with a developer, which you’ll usually find inside the package.
- Mix the dye and developer, and apply it to your hair. Start at the roots and work your way down to the tips. Once you’ve applied it, cover your head with a shower cap and wait the amount of time specified in the instructions.
- After the specified time has passed, rinse the dye out of your hair with warm water.
If you decide to use hair dye, try to choose a brand designed for your hair type and follow the reactions carefully.
A root spray is a type of hair product that is used to cover grey hair. It is applied to the roots of the hair and can be used on both wet and dry hair.
It is a temporary way to cover gray hair. Root sprays come in a can. It is sprayed onto the roots of your hair. They usually last for one or two shampoos. The advantage of using a root spray is that it is quick and easy to apply and does not require special skills.
Here is a step-by-step guide to using a root spray:
- Shake the can of root spray.
- Spray the roots of your hair with the root spray.
- Use a brush or your fingers to blend the spray into your hair.
- Style your hair as usual.
A root spray is a quick and easy way to cover gray hair and lasts for one or two shampoos.
Image Source: Pexels
Instead of dyeing your hair all one shade, which can make all hair appear the same, add some subtle dimension with highlights. It will also give the appearance of fuller hair.
Highlights are a permanent way to cover your gray hair. These are usually applied by a professional. Following are the steps involved in this method.
- Schedule an appointment with a hairstylist.
- Tell the stylist that you want highlights.
- The stylist will apply the highlights to your hair.
- Rinse your hair with water.
- Style your hair as usual.
The advantage of highlights is that they can make your hair look natural. The disadvantage of highlights is that they can be expensive and may damage your hair.
Wigs and hairpieces are another way to cover your gray hair. Wigs and hairpieces are usually made from human hair or synthetic fibers. They can be bought in a variety of colors, styles, and lengths.
They can be a temporary or permanent solution to covering your gray hair. These are usually attached to your head with an adhesive.
The advantage of wigs and hairpieces is that they are available in a variety of colors, styles, and lengths. The disadvantage of them is that they can be expensive.
To use a wig or hairpiece, follow these steps:
- Choose the wig or hairpiece that you want to wear.
- Put on the wig or hairpiece. Make sure you put them on correctly so they look natural.
- Style the wig or hairpiece.
- Remove the wig or hairpiece properly.
- Clean the wig or hairpiece and keep it safe.
Remember, It could be embarrassing if your wig falls off in public. So after you buy a wig, practice putting it on and taking it off in the privacy of your own home. And after you style it, take a photo of yourself wearing the wig so you’ll remember how to style it the next time you wear it.
While using them, try your best to take care of the product as you would your hair to ensure longevity. Because wigs and hairpieces can be expensive, you should be sure to take care of them. And if you don’t, they won’t last as long as they could.
- How can I prevent my hair from turning gray?
Unfortunately, there is no surefire way to prevent your hair from turning gray. Genetics is the most common cause of gray hair, so if your parents started graying early, chances are that you will too. Other factors that can cause gray hair include aging, stress, smoking, and certain illnesses.
- Can gray hair be reversed?
There is no surefire way to reverse gray hair. However, some treatments may help to slow the graying process or temporarily cover gray hair. These treatments include hair dyes, highlights, and wigs or hairpieces.
- What is the best way to cover gray hair?
The best way to cover gray hair depends on your personal preferences. Some people prefer to use hair dyes, while others prefer highlights, wigs, or hairpieces. There is no right or wrong answer, so choose the method that you think will work best for you.
No matter how you feel about your gray hair, there’s no need to stress. There are still many options available to help you cover up your gray hair if you’d like.
The best method for covering your gray hair depends upon your preferences. You can also consider trying different methods to see which one works best for you.
But remember that you don’t have to cover your gray hair if you don’t want to. Embrace your gray hair and rock it with confidence!
© 2022, Divine Magazine. All rights reserved.