Hemp, the low-THC cousin of marijuana, is becoming a popular ingredient in our daily lives. Before the United States banned its domestic production in the 1970’s, this useful plant was an integral part of several industries. The fibers, seeds, and oil found in the non-psychoactive species of Cannabis sativa are perfect for paper, textiles, fuels, and plastics – in fact, many American companies like Ford Motors still use hemp in their products today.
In recent years, efforts to re-allow the cultivation of hemp in the United States and an increased pushed for the legalization of marijuana and its chemical extracts have brought hemp back into the forefront of the public imagination. Several of the chemical compounds found in the Cannabis sativa plant, like cbd oils, have demonstrated a great potential for health benefits. As a result, hemp has now worked its way into a head-to-toe beauty routine.
Take a look below at some of the ways hemp oil can be used to benefit your beauty and wellbeing.
One of the best ways to boost your physical appearance is to improve your overall health. Hemp is what many nutritionists consider to be a real superfood – a food packed with nutrients. Hemp oil contains a 3:1 ratio of omega-6 and omega-3 fatty acids, two essential nutrients that are required in the diet to stay alive and healthy, and this ratio is considered ideal for absorption and use in the body. Other foods that contain high levels of omega fatty acids are walnuts, brussels sprouts, and avocados.
In addition to the omega fatty acids, hemp oil offers a number of other health benefits when consumed. Compared to most other oils, hemp has a much lower concentration of saturated fat and a higher concentration of polyunsaturated fats – which are linked to better heart health.
Good physical health is a great foundation for looking naturally beautiful. Including hemp oil in cooking and baking or as a supplement can help boost your overall wellbeing and, in turn, your appearance as well.
Besides its overall health benefits, hemp oil may have some specific benefits for your hair as well. Here are some of the ways that hemp can improve the texture, thickness, and strength of your hair:
- Hemp oil is a fatty oil that can provide a high level of moisture to the hair and scalp. For dry hair and scalps, this oil can moisturize without leaving the viscous, slimy residue of some of its counterparts.
- Increased volume. As well as moisturizing the scalp, hemp oil moisturizes and fills out thin, damaged hair. This adds volume and thickness.
- Increased growth. When eaten, the fatty acids in hemp oil help promote healthy hair growth. In addition, rubbing the oil into the scalp can help stimulate the blood vessels that feed your follicles.
- Improved shine. Hemp oil can increase shine and make hair look healthier across all types.
Both topical and edible hemp products can improve the shine, strength, moisture, and volume of your hair.
As with hair, hemp oil has many benefits for your skin. When used in lotions, creams, ointments, and as a plain oil, hemp can improve the texture and look of your skin in a number of ways:
- As mentioned above, hemp oil is a moisturizing oil that’s thinner and less viscous than many of its plant counterparts. When used on the skin, it absorbs easily and doesn’t leave an oily residue for hours afterwards. You can use it alone to moisturize or as part of a soap, cleanser, lotion, or cream.
- Decreased inflammation. Gamma-linolenic acid, one of the fatty acids contained in hemp, can help reduce inflammation. Puffy, flaky, and red skin may benefit from the chemical composition of this oil when used topically.
- Aid in healing. Dry skin that cracks and peels may also benefit from the anti-inflammatory properties of hemp oil. While big cuts and injuries are best left to the doctor, small cracks caused by routine dryness can be sped along in their healing with creams, lotions, and tonics made with hemp oil.
There are hundreds of skin care products available that contain hemp oil as a major ingredient. From overnight creams to daily lotions, soaps and cleansers to salves and balms, finding a product that suits your skin care needs isn’t hard to do.
The skin on your face is especially sensitive and requires special care. The light, delicate nature of hemp oil makes it a good choice for many facial beauty products, and it can be used alone to fix any of these issues:
- Make-up removal. Many modern make-ups are fat-soluble – meaning they won’t come off with water alone. Hemp oil offers an affordable, natural alternative to expensive make-up removal products. Just a small amount of the oil is enough to wipe away even tough waterproof liners and foundations.
- Evening complexion. The fatty acids in hemp oil may help even your skin complexion by making your skin more moist, supple, and full. Used alone or as part of a daily skincare routine can hydrate your skin and give your face a fuller, more even appearance.
- Under-eye bags. Along with your overall complexion, the moisturizing quality of hemp oil can help reduce the appearance of under-eye bags.
Like general skin care products, hemp oil can be found in hundreds of different cleansers, creams, and cosmetics. However, the pure, refined oil has plenty of benefits on its own for the delicate skin of your face.
Finally, hemp oil can help your nails grow stronger, smoother, and glossier. The seeds of the hemp plant are a good source of vitamin E, a group of chemicals associated with healthy hair and nail growth. The high levels of vitamin E may help encourage stronger, less brittle nails that grow more quickly. About one tablespoon of hemp oil contains your entire daily recommended intake, about 15mg.
Summing Things Up
Hemp oil is high in a number of essential nutrients that benefit your whole body. Omega fatty acids, vitamins, and polyunsaturated fats make this plant an excellent way to boost your overall wellbeing and your beauty routine.