October is always one of the biggest months of the year. Not only is it the time to break out your favorite Halloween decorations and sip on a delicious Pumpkin Spice Latte, but October is also well-known for Breast Cancer Awareness month. As breastcancer.org stated, every 1 in 8 women is statistically guaranteed to develop breast cancer in their lifetime. With breast cancer being the most common cancer amongst women worldwide, it’s important to try and bring as much awareness to the cause as possible. October is about to be here before we know it, so here are some of the best and easiest ways to support the cause and help fight the fight!
1. Shop till You Drop! – Shopping? For a good cause? Sign me up! This is no doubt one of the easiest and most effective ways to help support the cause against breast cancer. Companies worldwide join together in creating products that help support breast cancer with a majority of the proceeds going to help breast cancer research. The companies that take part in this cause are wide ranging from makeup companies like Bobbi Brown to golf companies like Titleist. Bra company, True & Co. takes part in this with their partnership with the Keep A Breast Foundation and in creating a special collection, Bras to Fight Cancer that not only helps bring awareness to the important cause but also gives you the chance to wear a comfortable and supportive bra!
2. Volunteer- Whether it’s to help set up for an event or be involved in the planning stages of an event, signing up to volunteer is a great way to help make strides against breast cancer. Volunteering is a great way to help make a difference and can also help to encourage friends and family to come out and lend a hand! If you don’t find yourself with enough time to volunteer, doing something smaller like making a simple donation to a breast cancer foundation like The Pink Fund is a great way to show some of your support.
3. Use Social Media- With social media being more popular than ever, it only makes sense to use it for a good cause! It doesn’t seem like much but doing something small like retweeting an event or simply using a hashtag such as #BreastCancerAwareness can make a huge difference and help bring attention to the cause. Getting your social media followers involved is more impactful than you think!
4. Do a Charity Walk/Run- Not only is this a great way to fit some fitness into your day but it also helps to raise money for breast cancer research. Most walks/runs are a typical 5k but there are walks that do a fun spin on the event such as the Moonwalk, a night walk event which takes place in London. If you’re interested in finding a local charity walk/run, Eventbrite is a great resource as they have an entire section dedicated to charity that can find breast cancer fundraisers happening near you.
5. Donate Your Hair- “Rapunzel, Rapunzel, let down your hair.” If you have long enough hair and feel comfortable giving it a chop, donating your hair to help make a wig is one of the best things you can do for Breast Cancer Awareness. Hair product company, Pantene takes part in this with their Beautiful Lengths campaign, donating all hair to create wigs for women undergoing cancer treatment.
6. Check for Your Own Health- Oftentimes, we all get so caught up in our daily lives that we forget to be on top of our own health as well as others. It’s important to go and get yourself checked for any signs of breast cancer. It’s recommended that women age 45 and up have a mammogram every year and that you give yourself a self-examination every month. With all the technology that exists today (check out the bra that can help diagnose breast cancer), it’s never been so easy to give yourself a self-check-up. You can easily download an app such as the Check Yourself! App which will not only give you reminders on when to check yourself but also tell you the best way to do it!