Your hair is your crowning glory, making hair care essential. Healthy, shiny, good-looking locks can give you the confidence boost to start your day. But many factors can damage your hair, including humidity, heat, and unnatural chemicals.
Fortunately, years of research and trial and error have led to a variety of hair products being available in the market. Some are deep conditioning treatments for color-corrected hair, some extend the life of a particular hairstyle, some add volume and texture, and some protect your hair from heat.
Hair oils and hair serums are two hair products that are used interchangeably. As such, some confuse these products as the same since both are known to add shine and decrease frizz and dryness.
However, they are not the same, and understanding the distinction can help you use them correctly and make all the difference when it comes to styling.
In this article, we will discuss their differences, uses, and suitability to hair types.
What is Hair Oil?
As the name suggests, the formula of hair oil is oil-based. Hair oils are typically made from natural ingredients that deeply nourish the hair. These have long been used, particularly in South Asia, to promote healthy, shiny, strong, and long hair.
Popular ingredients include argan oil, coconut oil, olive oil, and jojoba oil. Hair oil can be made almost entirely of one of these plant-based ingredients, or it may be a blend of different oils. Most hair oils are designed to nourish, shine, or repair damaged hair. Oils can also be used to seal in moisture from other hair-care products.
Hair oils contain ingredients that can penetrate the strands, nourishing and hydrating them from within. Furthermore, hair oils can help with hair damage such as dryness, breakage, frizzing, split ends, and fraying. If you want to treat your hair from the inside out, use hair oils.
Benefits of Applying Hair Oil
Regular use of hair oil can benefit the hair in several ways:
- Nourishment. Hair oils contain nutrients that promote hair growth, softness, and shine. Hair oils’ deep nourishing and moisturizing properties aid in the treatment of dryness and dullness.
- Revitalization. Massage oils into your hair to help nutrients penetrate the skin layers, revitalizing the skin tissue. As a result, your hair’s texture improves.
- Frizz control. A few drops of hair oil can help control frizzy hair while also providing bounce and nourishment.
- Hair fall reduction. Hair oils can help prevent hair fall and even promote hair growth. Regular massages with hair oil can help prevent hair thinning.
- Healthy hair growth. The application of hot oil to the scalp and hair improves blood circulation and nutrient supply to the hair follicles. Massage your scalp with hot oil to promote rapid and healthy hair growth.
- Protection. Many hair oils contain antimicrobial and antifungal properties that can aid in the treatment of folliculitis. Furthermore, the antibacterial and anti-inflammatory properties of a few hair oils can help in preventing and treating dandruff.
What is Hair Serum?
Hair serums are silicone-based synthetic products that are commonly used as styling agents. Hair serum coats the outer surface of the hair and protects, shines, and tames it. It also moisturizes the hair and keeps it from tangling and frizzing. Depending on its formulation, hair serum can also hydrate the hair, repair damage, and protect against environmental pollutants.
Benefits of Applying Hair Serum
- Protection against fungal infection. Hair serums aid in the prevention of dandruff and, thus, fungal infections.
- Added shine. Applying hair serums after washing the hair can give it a silky, smooth finish while also nourishing the hair.
- Protection from environmental damage. Serum forms a protective layer over the hair against heat, pollutants, humidity, UV rays, and other environmental factors.
- Softness. A little hair serum goes a long way toward softening your hair and making it feel supple and renourished.
- Hair damage prevention. Hair serums are low in acidity, which helps to control inflammation and bind hair fibers, preventing hair damage.
How to Use Hair Serum or Oil
The rules for applying hair serum, oil, or a combination product are essentially the same.
Take a few drops of your preferred formula (two to three drops is plenty) and work them through damp or dry hair from the mid-lengths to the ends. You should avoid using it on your roots because it will make them look greasy.
Apply the oil or serum to damp hair after a shower as a treatment or to dry hair as a shine-boosting finishing touch to any hairstyle.
If you’re using other hair care products, serum or oil should be applied second to last. Hairspray should always be the last step in your hair care and styling routine, followed by serum or oil.
Shampoo, conditioner, masks, mousse, gel, and any other hair products should be used before applying serum or oil.
Apply serum and oil in two separate steps, start with the serum. Then, follow up with oil to form a protective layer and trap the moisture from the previously applied serum.
Your hair requires more than just shampoo and conditioner. While being open to suggestions for expanding your hair-care routine is good, you should know what your hair needs to avoid further damage caused by using a variety of unnecessary hair products.
© 2022 – 2023, Contributor. All rights reserved.