Cooking a whole rotisserie chicken is always great because you’ll be sure to have some leftovers for another day. We’re going to look at a delicious Mexican chicken soup recipe that is full of goodness, rich in vitamins and minerals. One of our favorite things about this soup recipe is that it can be combined with a whole array of other ingredients to tailor to your needs. From the best MCT oil to shredded cheese – we’ll be covering some wonderful add-ons too. In essence, it’s a chicken soup recipe that combines all the essence of a hearty Mexican meal without the guilt, plus it is completely satisfying!
If you’re looking for a simple and breathtaking dinner, without going to Mexico, let this recipe bring Mexico to you. It’s a simple, outstanding tasting recipe. So without further ado, let’s find out how you can cook it in your kitchen today!
The good news is that you won’t have to be breaking the bank to make this Mexican cream of chicken soup recipe. Don’t worry, we’re not going to bombard you with a list of pricey and fancy ingredients to track down! A great thing about this recipe is that you will be using leftover chicken as the main protein element, so you won’t have to go out of your way to find any fresh meat. However, if you don’t have any available and are wondering how to cook chicken for a soup recipe, you can simply poach a whole chicken in some stock for an hour. The recipe will serve around 6 people.
- Two sticks of celery, roughly chopped
- One medium-sized onion, finely diced
- Three cloves of garlic, minced
- One large carrot, roughly chopped
- 6+ cups of organic chicken broth
- 400+ g of chicken
- One 300 g can of crushed tomatoes
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 2 tablespoons of jalapeno peppers
- Half a tablespoon of ground coriander seeds
- A sprig of fresh coriander
- Salt and pepper
- 3 tablespoons of olive oil
How to make your soup
This recipe calls for the power of a Dutch oven. However, if you don’t have one, then you can also use a slow cooker. Just extend the cooking time by around 4 to 5 hours on the lower heat. You could also make the recipe on the hob if you turn the heat down to a simmer.
- In your Dutch oven or pot, add the olive oil and turn the heat to medium-high before adding in the garlic and spices.
- Fry for 30 seconds to make sure that the spices don’t burn.
- Add in the salary, onion, and carrots, and turn down the heat to a low, sauteing everything until the vegetables are tender and soft. Make sure that the vegetables are not cooked without color to enhance their sweetness.
- Add in the remaining ingredients other than the coriander. Pour in your broth and bring everything up to a rolling boil.
- Once you have everything at a boil, turn the heat down and simmer everything for around 20 minutes.
- Add in the coriander over the top and give your soup a taste. Adjust all the seasonings if necessary at this point.
- Pour into a lovely bowl and serve.
Hey Presto, your Mexican recipe is ready!
However, we want to give you something more. Let’s take a look at how you can customize this recipe to meet your needs and stimulate your taste buds.
Toppings, customizations, and additions
Over the years, we have seen this recipe modified to meet people’s needs. For example, if you’re looking for a keto chicken soup recipe, you may want to put an additional 400 g of leftover chicken into the mix and skip on carb-rich rice to serve with it. Another way of making it a keto soup diet recipe is to ramp up the healthy fat content with the addition of extra guacamole on the side or MCT oil. Avocados are particularly full of healthy and nutritious monounsaturated fats. Another highly popular and very tasty modification is to make it a homemade chicken noodle soup recipe – simply combine the soup with some cooked glass noodles to soak up all the flavors lying in the broth.
Once you got your soup on the table, it doesn’t end there. You will also need to get another bowl ready for various toppings. Here are some brilliant accompaniments and customizations that work well:
- Add a topping of cheese, including shredded cotija, queso fresco, or cheddar cheese.
- A dollop of sour cream imparts a wonderful flavor. If you are trying to be healthy, substitute this for zero fat yogurts.
- Cooked black beans are fantastic, full of flavor and protein.
- White or brown rice to be served on the side. You can add it to the soup too if you prefer.
- A dash of lime can give it a bit of acidity. Put out some wedges of lime on the table for everybody to squeeze.
- Tortilla chips are a brilliant side complement to this hearty soup. However, Mexican tortillas can also be added within the soup itself. A lot of traditional Mexican soups use ground and stale tortillas as the soup base. This helps to thicken the soup, and you can try this technique if you feel that the texture is too much on the brothy side.
- Zucchini, cabbage, or spring onions can add a wonderful touch of freshness to this soup.
- Add guacamole on the side or chunks of avocado. Delicious!
- The soup works wonderfully with medallions of corn or any leftover corn cut right off the cob.
- Any aged baked potato can be put into the soup to enhance its flavor if you’ve got one line in the fridge. This will be the time to use it!
A tasty soup recipe
This is certainly a recipe Mexican chicken soup lovers will be proud to make in their kitchen. It’s a combination of ingredients that are delicious and work harmoniously together to bring out the flavors of Mexico. We hope you have as much fun eating this dish as we have had to put this recipe together. Buen provecho!
What are your favorite Mexican recipes? Tell us about them in the comment section below.