Long-distance moving is not easy, especially if you will be traveling hundreds or even thousands of miles to reach your new home. Moving long distances comes with a number of challenges, so preparing correctly for the long-distance move can help you have a successful move.
It would help if you managed your pre-move time, make an inventory, find a reputable long distance moving company, get rid of your unwanted items, and pack your belongings before your moving day.
The following are long-distance moving tips.
1. Make an Inventory
Making an inventory of the items you are moving can help you prepare a good plan of action, so it is crucial to know your moving items. Go from room to room in your home and write down all the items in these rooms.
Some apps can help you make an inventory. You can use these apps to make an inventory. Do not forget to take photos of these items before packing and moving them.
2. Get Rid of All Unwanted Belongings
You may have some items that you have not used in several years. Please get rid of them. Why? They can add to the cost of a long-distance move. This is because the cost of long-distance moving depends on the total weight and the number of items you are moving.
Getting rid of some items can help cut your moving cost. Some of these items may still have commercial, so sell them. Donate some items to your friends or your favorite local charity.
3. Hire a Reliable Long Distance Moving Company
You can easily pack and move your belongings to a new neighborhood in your city. However, it takes more effort and time to pack and move your belongings over hundreds or even thousands of miles.
That is why you need to look for trusted movers to help you move over a long distance. International shipping companies are professionals and can protect your belongings, and they can reduce the stress that comes with long-distance moving.
4. Ask for In-Home Moving Estimates
You know a long-distance mover can save you time and money. Asking for in-home estimates can help you pick an affordable and trusted professional mover. For examples, you can request several in-home moving estimates from the different local long distance Denver movers.
Please do not hire a mover that will send you their quotes via e-mail or phone. The mover should see your belongings before giving you, their quotes. Compare these quotes and hire an affordable long distance mover.
5. Look for Packing Supplies Early
You can pack your belongings if you have some experience in packing different items. Use high-quality packing supplies to pack your belongings.
However, it is not easy to find the best packing supplies. You may have to order some of them online, especially if you cannot find them in your local stores. Therefore, look for packing supplies a few weeks before your moving day. You will have enough time to find high-quality packing supplies.
6. Pack Your Belongings Early
It takes time and lots of effort to pack for a long-distance move. It is even hard to know where to start, especially if you have many items to pack.
“Most house packing tips would tell you that there are no ultimate one-size-fits-all guides so the best thing you can do to make your packing efficient is to be organized. And in cases when you’re not able to move all your things to your new house together, it’s also wise to book storage facilities where you can temporarily and safely store some of your belongings.”
You can follow a detailed packing timeline because you do not have to pack everything in one day. You can pack a few items each day. This will keep you motivated. That is why you need to start packing early.
Hate packing? Hire a professional to help you pack.
7. Hire a Professional to Help You Pack
Packing for a long-distance move is not easy, and it takes time. Do not attempt to pack your belongings if you do not have any experience or do not have enough time.
Hire a professional to pack them. Professionals will come with the right packing supplies.
Want to save money? Hire a professional long distance mover that offers packing services. It is much cheaper to hire these movers which are trusted too.
8. Change Your Home Utilities
Do not move before changing your home utilities. You will also need utilities, such as water and sewage, electricity, waste removal, telephone, cable TV, Internet, and gas, in your new home. Therefore, contact the utility providers in your new town or city to activate these utilities before moving into your new home. Remember to disconnect utilities in your current home before moving out.
Some Additional Tips for Moving Long Distance
- Let us assume you are moving long distance from Washington to Louisville, KY then the first thing you should do is check the neighborhoods in Louisville KY. Check for neighborhoods that suit your needs and lifestyle.
- Do not forget to research about the cost of living, job opportunities, schools, healthcare facilities, recreational activities, etc., in these neighborhoods. Additionally, you should also know what items you can take with you and which ones will have to be shipped separately.
- If you’re moving with a pet, obtain all necessary health certificates and documents required to transport your pet. You may also consider making special arrangements for your pet’s travel and accommodation during the move.
- Find out whether your mover provides storage services or not as it can come handy if there’s a delay in completing the move due to any unforeseen circumstances. Moreover, have a backup plan if something goes wrong during the moving process and make sure that all documents related to your move are secure throughout the transit time.
- Finally, don’t forget to label and keep boxes accordingly so that unloading and unpacking become easy. Following these tips will help you have a successful long-distance move with minimal stress. Good luck!
© 2020 – 2023, Divine Magazine. All rights reserved.